Friday, September 7, 2012

Pros and Cons of Blogging

It seems kinda strange to write about blogging on a blog site. I started this blog over 2 years ago but I have never posted something. I was nervous about having a world wide audience and fearful that I didn't really have anything important to say. I am working on overcoming my anxiety about writing. It is the weirdest thing to long to write yet despise writing. It is a quandary of mixed emotions. Now, however, I am somewhat forced to write (a benefit of graduate school).

So my first posting will be about the pros and cons of blogging in adult education. Yes, it is a grad school assignment.

Pros 
- personal expression (there is a therapeutic aspect to writing). It also corresponds to the importance of reflection in learning. That is to analyze ones own learning experience.
-world wide access/audience (this is a global area of exposure). It allows for more feedback from other people, students, web members, and instructors.

-opportunity for comments (could be conversation/dialogue). Again more feedback from other people.


Cons 
-privacy/anonymity (this could be dangerous to be able to say anything without possible consequence).
-technically overwhelming (this is a new venue to learn to use). I guess my age is showing but  I am finding it hard to work with the html here in the blog sphere. I guess I will have to create in word and then transfer it to here.

Difference of blogging from discussion threads:
- blogging seems more intimidating because it can be read by a wider audience than just the members of the class. The discussion threads are in a controlled environment of the on line learning site.
-I think that there is more opportunity to use technology with blogging if you are work in an education setting that may not have the resources of a secure discussion site.

Research has shown that the generation of students who have grown up with the internet are more open to use blogging and other social medias as a resource in learning. It is an arena of technology that many students are already comfortable with.

I am not sure how I can incorporate into my teaching. This is an area of pondering that I will need to consider. I am very interested in the multi-user blog where more than one person is contributing to the blog.  All in all, this is an interesting challenge that I want to explore and learn more about.

11 comments:

  1. It seems that most of us are in your shoes - learning this "blogging thing". I can certainly appreciate its usefulness and how it fits within the adult learning spectrum, but, as you mention, I'm not sure how many educators will time the time to incorporate it within their curriculum. I'm sure there are areas/situations that would be most appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonora,
      Yes, I think this would be great for humanities classes or English classes, some type of class that relates to writing. However, it also could be good for reflection in other classes. I am not sure how to incorporate in my classes....yet. But, I am seriously pondering it.

      Delete
  2. Dawn,
    I am right there with you on the whole getting used to this new technology; I have been doing everything in word and transferring it over to the blog when I am done. I am also not a natural writer and really do not enjoy the process; I am a very direct or to-the-point kind of person in life and always have been (works well in the military). Who knows, maybe blogging will help us both to be more comfortable with writing.

    I think we all saw in last weeks reading that there is a generational gap and that those who grew up with this technology are much more comfortable with it and do have a certain level of expectancy to use the technology in the education process. I know when I was teaching at the university (ROTC), the students always appreciated incorporating new technology into the course structure and were always very willing to help me with the process; allowing them to help with the technology was also good for helping to pull them further into the learning process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean,
      Great idea. I think I will contact one of my younger students and see if they can teach me some of the trick of this blogging site. Otherwise, it will be a long couple of days viewing the suggested video links that Dr. K suggested. One way or another, I will get better at this... at least for this class. I am not sure if I will use it afterward.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dawn!

    I, too, compose my posts in a Word document first and then copy it to the blog. It is easier to catch misspelled words, etc. I do not use this process for my replies to other posts though.

    I understand your hesitance to voice your thoughts on the topic. That's where I think blogging is most beneficial. It gives you space to work through your relationship to the topic and publish your conclusions. Your voice and understanding is not only AS important as everyone else's, it may provide the perspective the reader needs to grasp a more holistic comprehension of the material. You never know how you are affecting others, but I guarantee that you are affecting them nonetheless.

    You have created a wonderful blog. I appreciate your honesty and openness in addressing your blogging challenges and eagerly anticipate your future posts. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonya,
      Thanks for your encouragement. We will see how this blogging experiment goes.

      Delete
  4. Dawn, congratulations on your fist blog. Well done! Please don't be too hard on yourself. We are not here to judge! You have always articulated yourself well on message board; no different here, just more creative. I know there are some differences, I just want to encourage you to not over think things:)

    You said you are wondering about how to incorporate blogging as a learning activity with your students. How about journaling? I know you teach ABE/GED at a community college. That can be a tough journey for students. Maybe they would enjoy chronicling the process. They could pick one thing to write on at a time in a reflective manner. Are they irritated, overwhelmed, proud, excited? Not only would they have an opportunity to reflect, but they would also build more computer skills and awareness of available technology that would transcend the classroom.

    Maybe a group blog for study groups. It is very easy to use a blog collaboratively and that could reinforce group work, and social learning/community building.

    Here is how to add authors to a blog:
    Click "design" at the top right corner of your blog
    Click on "settings" on the list of options on the left
    See "permissions"
    Click "add Author"
    type a person which will prompt your contacts. If the person is not in your contacts, just type the email and click "invite author."

    For privacy concerns, just below the add author options is the "blog reader" options. You can set that so that "anybody" can read your blog, "only blog authors" can view it, or "only these readers" allowing you to personalize who can see, and comment on the blog.

    I hope that is worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vianne, Thank you for the practical advice. I think what you have stated is very helpful. But, I think after reading the first chapter in the West and West book, I may introduce the idea of a wiki with my students. I think the interactive and collaborative aspect of it might be easier than the blog.

      Delete
    2. I'm a big fan of the collaborative benefits of wiki too. As you mention, it also offers more interactivity. I am sure you will find the right fit for you and your students!

      Delete
  5. Hi Dawn. Good job on the first blog. From everyones' comments, I think it is definitely fair to say we have all had learning experiences with respect to getting used to blogging. Are there other ways to get used to blogging or new technology? Coaching as a technique I think is always a good idea to aid learners.
    Thanks Vianne for acting as coach. Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen,
      I think you are right, sometimes it is just best to jump in and learn to swim as you go. Thankfully, we have this class that gives us "the push" to use this technology. And I, too, am grateful to Vianne for her skill as a coach.

      Delete