Ok. I am kinda getting the hang of this blogging thing. And I am starting to like it. This posting I would like to do something cool like embed a video or something. I hope I can figure that out.
This week's assignment is to create or revise a lesson plan using a wiki. OH MY!! I love teaching, I mean really love teaching. I feel that it is my vocation in life. But lesson plans, not so much. My favorite subject to teach is Algebra. I enjoy being zany (standing on chairs to explain inequalities) and creative (like the polynomial song with finger movements) to engage the students to understand a topic that most adult learners dread.
So, how am I going to get away from a teacher, albeit a good teacher, approach to a constructive learning approach? How can students learn about mathematical principles without instruction? I don't know. And this week, I do not have time to try to figure it out. I will. I just need more time to do research and see what is out there. I did look at some wikis regarding Algebra but it wasn't as collaborative as I would like. Most wikis I saw used them as common location for documents such as answers to test and such. I think that it would be easy to assign a history of Math assignment. But, students do not need that for the GED. So, I will need more time to come up with a wiki lesson for Algebra that relates to GED test.
As I posted last time, I would like to have a wiki for our non native speakers to practice their writing skills. West and West (2009) state that the intensive writing that is involved in creating a wiki will be "more of a challenge for ESL students, people with writing deficiencies and students with reading or learning disabilites" (pg. 27). Therefore I have broken down the assignment into different phases.
Title: English Essays Practice
Population: ABE/GED/ESL students who are preparing to take the GED test. The participating students need to improve their English Essay writing skills.
Instructional & Learning Procedure:
Phase 1: The instructor will post an essay with multiple errors; she will make a note of how many error are in the essay. Each student will copy the essay and correct the errors. Instructor will give feedback to each student on how they did.
Phase 2: The instructor will pose a writing prompt on the wiki for the student to write. Please click here to see the daily writing topic sheet. http://www.scribd.com/doc/106421820
Each student will write the 1 paragraph of at least 5 to 7 sentences first by hand on paper. Then the student will type the paragraph onto the wiki. Each student will edit another student’s paragraph. As they edit the paragraph, they will provide reference from website or book to state why the change needs to be made to the paragraph.
The instructor will begin to facilitate the students to transition into writing 1 paragraph to a 5 paragraph essay by having students take turns writing a continuous essay. One student will write one sentence, then other will build on it, then another and so on. Then the instructor will demonstrate combining ideas, determining main idea, and putting paragraphs together to form a 5 paragraph essay.
Student will view the embedded instructional video about the 5 paragraph essay.
Phase 4: Each student will write a 5-paragraph essay on their own on the given prompt. They should be aware of the 45 minute time limit in which to write the essay. Then another student will edit the essay and evaluate according to the GED essay rubric. http://www.scribd.com/doc/104813101/null
Learning Objectives:
- The student will write a paragraph of 5 to 7 sentences. They will use standard English grammar.
- The student will examine another students writing and identify grammar errors and grammar rules.
- The student will participate in collaborative teams to do writing assignments.
- The student will understand part of the 5 paragraph essay.
- The student will evaluate another student’s writing according the GED rubric.
- Computer & access to the Wiki
- Daily Writing prompt paper
-GED Essay Rubric
-paper & pencil
Evaluation:
Our program does not use grades or credits to evaluate our students. Students will have their final essay compared with their entrance essay. They will also be assessed based on how they perform on the GED test.
So, What do you think? I am not sure what to add to this lesson plan. Although, right now, it is late and I am going to bed. Please give me suggestions or feedback about this lesson plan.
West, J. & West, M. (2009). Using Wikis for
Online Collaboration: The Power of the Read-Write Web. San Francisco:
Jossey-Bass.


Dawn
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, very good! I have to admit that I am not a great "lesson plan" writer. By nature I tend to have an overall objective and I don't usually detail a specific plan like this. (Horrible I know!) However, a plan is a good guide to having a successful class. From what I can tell you have done a good job setting up the class to succeed and if another teacher were to have to take over they could do it.
Andrew
Andrew, I, too, like to have general ideas and outline for my lessons plans and then I “muddle through” as Brookfield says. My lesson are not this specific when I actually teach. The interactive dynamic of a class is what I really enjoy. I do not even like creating lesson plans until I see “the whites of the student’s eyes” because I think that we need to teach to the individuals in the class. Each class is different with a different culture.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading my blog.
Dawn,
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job on your lesson plan. I like how you demonstrated one of the techniques mentioned by West & West (2009) – error finding and correction. I can see how this technique of having students locate and correct facts could be an effective aid. It forces them to study the material and get a good understanding of the facts. It is evident that you have experience developing lesson plans and how to incorporate them within the classroom. This is quite the opposite of me and my experience, one who’s never developed a lesson plan or taught in a classroom setting. I am looking forward to more classes that address the methodology of teaching, in general. I also look forward to learning more from reading your blog, etc.
References:
West, J. and West, M. (2009). Using Wikis for Online Collaboration: The Power of the Read-Write Web. Kindle Edition
Sonora,
DeleteLesson plans are really needed when you are in a classroom. I would suggest taking Dr. Collins' class called "Principles of Teaching Adults", it was a GREAT methods class for teaching. I am not sure if it is offered as an on-line class because she is such a great model of what to do as a teacher. Otherwise, you need to just do it. Start teaching a class at some organization such as church or volunteer organization. I bet finding an opportunity will be easier than you think.
Thanks for reading my blog.
Your lesson plan is very straight forward and easy to follow. You have the students start with easy but also challenging task (phase 1) and help them gradually develop their confidence in writing. A good example of "Scaffolding".
ReplyDeleteA lot of people don't like to write lesson plan. It's not that they don't have one. It's just that they are a little bit lazy to put their plans on paper. A good lesson plan can do a lot of things helping students learn. If you all have interest to dig further into this area and see how teaching writing can benefit from a good lesson plan, this is a good book to read:
Dixon, C. (ED). (2007). Lesson plans for teaching writing. National Council of Teachers of English.
Forgot to commend you for successfully embedding the video!
ReplyDeleteDawn,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you incorporated the wiki into the GED program; you made it a working document type of site that you keep building on as more paragraphs and essays are entered and corrected. I think this is one of the unique areas where wikis really outperform a lot of other technologies and falls right in line with what West & West said about what wikis are designed for “helps groups collaborate, share and build online content.” The groups get to see everyone’s work and how they were corrected and they can refer back to it as they progress and add on.
What Andrew said in his comment about someone being able to step in and teach this class is very true, I think a lot of people forget that that is one of the purposes of a good lesson plan. I have had to teach more then one class off of someone else’s lesson plan with no real prep time (not fun by the way). I looked at everyone else’s lesson plan in our group and I would say that your use of the wiki was IMO the best use.
Dawn,
ReplyDeleteThis does not officially count as one of my three comments because I do not plan to stretch it to 100 words. I just want to let you know that you did a spectacular job with this week's blog. I love your organization, detail and simplicity. Your lesson plan is easy to follow and you incorporate the Wiki as an assessment tool in a way that is relevant and intelligent. Fantastic work!