| 1st response to Blogs |
This week's topic is Wikis. Last year, my response was "Wiki, what?" I had never heard of a Wiki before I started grad school, but now I am somewhat more comfortable with them. I do think that the formatting is somewhat cumbersome.
I never thought that I would be an advocate for Wikis or any other technology, remember the screaming response. However, Wikis and other Web 2.0 technologies are great advances in andragogy. These technologies act as catalyst to change from the old style of education being teacher/content focus to a learner/process focus of education.
Wikis have many benefits and challenges.
- The best thing about Wikis is the collaborative learning. All participants can edit,create,comment,and work on the Wiki simultaneously (West, J. & West, M., 2009) (King & Cox, 2011). This allows people from different global locations to work together. Wow! How is that for making the world a small place. But, let me tell you from personal experience, working out logistics of the project and the group dynamics of who is going to do what, is such a pain. It is the one aspect of the Wiki that I find difficult. I love working with people but it is hard to do a project without the face to face contact. At least, that is my opinion.
- Wikis are very versatile, that is that a Wiki can be used for many educational activities. Hazari, North, & Moreland (2009) citing Hsu(2007) say that some of the different types of assignments can be brainstorming, group discussions, and collaborative writing. King & Cox (2011) also add Higdom’s (2005) ideas of journaling, personal portfolios, research coordination, cross disciplinary coordination, and organizing academic conferences. There really is an unlimited number of creative educational activities that Wikis can be used for. However, it is a big challenge to grade those creative projects. As an instructor, it is important to investigate and consider the purpose of using a Wiki and how it can incorporate the curriculum before actually doing it (West, J. & West, M., 2009).
- Wikis are very easy to use. Technically, Wikis have evolved into a user-friendly version, much like using Microsoft Word. Wikis are located on the Worldwide Web so they are easily accessible to anyone with computer (King & Cox, 2011). However, many students are concerned about having such a public audience and there are opportunities for hackers to get in there and cause havoc. This difficulty can be overcome by making the Wiki private so that only people with passwords can edit or create in the Wiki (West, J. & West, M., 2009).
- Wikis are technically easy to use, that is there is no need for knowing a computer language to use it. Wikis actually are very much like using Microsoft Word and other word processing software. King & Cox (2011) cite Kirkpatrick’s (2006) opinion that wikis need very little technological knowledge. However, there are some difficulties. I was frustrated trying to paste a table into the last Wiki that I worked on. I finally left it out.
OH NO!
I guess I am attracted to technology because I am attempting to create a Wiki or Blog for my students. I have many students who are non-native speakers so writing an essay (essential part of GED test) is difficult for them. I am thinking of creating a Wiki or Blog so that students can post practice essays and then volunteers or instructors can edit them. I also hope that by allowing students to view each others work they can help each other. I firmly believe that the best way to learn is to teach or assist someone else. It could also allow them to collaborate to generate ideas on how to pass the GED writing test together. Right now, this is in the idea and approval phase. I will let you know if it actually happens.Works Cited:
Hazari, S., North, A., & Moreland, D. (2009).
Investigating Pedagogical Value of Wiki Technology. Journal of Informational
Systems Education, 20(2), 187-198.
King, K. P., & Cox, T. D. (Eds.). (2011). The
Professor's Guide to Taming Technology: Levering Digital Media, Web 2.0, and
More for Learning. Charlotte, NC: IAP ( Information Age Publishing, Inc.).
West, J. & West, M. (2009). Using Wikis for
Online Collaboration: The Power of the Read-Write Web. San Francisco:
Jossey-Bass.
Dawn, I love your honest reflection of your emotional response to new technologies. I think you are in good company! I consider myself quite accepting of technology, but I still hesitate to adopt something right of the line, o to speak. I fall right in line with Knowles' assumptions about adults, specifically that new technology needs to work for me. I appreciate the new catch phrases I am hearing recently that encourages new tecgnologies, be it devices or software, to be "intuitive.". When I think about integrating technology into curriculum, I try to keep that thought in mind. How do I make this intuitive to students? Or, how can I develop skills in order to adopt new technologies more readily?
ReplyDeleteI love your use of color to depict positives and negatives of wikis. Great visual that speaks to the subconscious. I am glad you mentioned the difficulty of working with groups. I am sure we can all relate to a frustrating experience with the "dreaded group project.."I still think it is a necessary assignment and I learn something from every one of them, but I agree that the initial stage of feeling each other out and assessing strengths, weaknesses, and motivation is difficult in the online format.
I think you have a great idea to use a wiki for essay practice and peer review! Not only are you utilizing some lessons from he constructivist theory, but you are building a social learning community. I predict great things for you and your students!
Wow Dawn, great blog post all around; I really like how you broke down each pro and con (or as you put them, benefits and challenges) and even color coded it for ease of noticing the opposing views. I think a lot of us are like that with new technology or something we don’t feel comfortable with, stick a toe in first, then a leg before jumping all the way in.
ReplyDeleteYour first benefit/challenge is a noteworthy one; I would always prefer to do things face to face; but with technology connecting the whole world together, this is something I think we’ll all need to learn in the future. As much as the logistics of working so far apart and never actually meeting is difficult (I agree with you that it is kind of a pain), I think it is a great learning opportunity. Just look at where we were 20 years ago, it’s hard to imagine working without all this connectivity and information at our fingertips.
Dawn,
ReplyDeleteFirst I will have to say that your writing style make your post very fun to read. You do a wonderful job of expressing what you experience in a very fun and light hearted manner that draws the reader in and helps to make your points come across.
You also expressed a bit of concert about not meeting what you felt were Dr. Ks expectations for the assignment. While there are, of course, some set guidelines he wants us to follow, I think that you are doing a very nice job of being very succinct in you posts, which I feel if very important. THis is something the is also brought up in the King text (p. 114) where they discuss how the online environment requires special attention so that the students do not lose interest in the subject.
Second, I echo Vianne and Dean's comments. I like how you edited your pros and cons via color. That is an interesting way to do that, and it catches the eye. It is not overbearing and just subtile enough to really draw the readers attention to what you wish to convey.
Thanks for a great post. :)
Dawn, great job blogging! I think you are doing a good job, and are incorporating something that I probably need to add, references! I reference in the blog, like I do on the message board, but don't provide a full reference at the end, something I need to work on. I appreciate you leveraging difference colors for benefits and opportunities, it was a creative representation, opposed to the bullet route that I took. You also brought up a really good point about hackers that hadn't even crossed my mind. I was reading Shawn's post intermittently between typing and taking bites of my really late lunch and I think he and I are on the same page. You provided a very good blog post that was engaging and I enjoyed it, thanks!
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone for your encouraging words. I am starting, just starting to like this blogging thing.
ReplyDelete